This year, at the Presbyterian General Assembly, LGBTQ people & allies of the upcoming generation will claim their birthright at members of a just & inclusive church.

27 May 2008

Steven Andrews - (R)evolutionary

My name is Steven Andrews, and I'm a New Church
(R)evolutionary.

By the time General Assembly begins in late June, I will be
twenty-five years old, certified and ready to receive a
quarter-life crisis. I am already an Inquirer, exploring a
call to ministry in the Presbyterian Church. I am also a
former atheist, former correctional educator, and current
student at Columbia Theological Seminary in Atlanta. All
this sounds fine so far, but I'm also openly bisexual, and
therein lies the rub.

As part of the NCR(e) team at this year's GA, I hope to work
for the full inclusion of LGBTQ people in the life and work
of the Presbyterian Church. For too long (because any
amount of time marginalized is too long), we have been
second-class citizens in the church, able to exist and
participate to some extent, but not to participate fully.
Not to be allowed to follow God's call into ordination as
deacons, elders, and ministers. Not to have our loving,
committed relationships celebrated and affirmed by our family
of faith.

I have been ordained as a deacon and become an Inquirer only
because, until recently, I have been willing to hide one
aspect of who I am. But now things are different, and I
hope that this change in me will help bring about change in
the church. At GA, I will be part of a team participating
in fun and creative actions that model a new way forward for
Presbyterians, and building relationships with people who
make decisions on the policies that impact me and people
like me. I have faith that through these actions and these
relationships, we can encourage PC(USA) to move in a more
inclusive direction, reflecting the God of love and
hospitality we attempt to faithfully serve.

No comments: